Friday, April 19, 2013

Yeah man, it's Kalanggaman !!!


My trip to Kalanggaman was a fulfillment of a childhood dream. I’ve known it since I was a child of 10, obviously decades ago, when the Aboitiz ship we’re aboard from Leyte en route to Manila came cruising on the seas between the northern part of Cebu and Leyte where the islet is. Each time the ship passed by, I always wondered as to when I could get there. It became a possibility when I learned about an officemate who dropped by the islet for a day tour all the way from Manila via Malapascua Island in Cebu (2 hours from the islet, one way).

Yet again, it remained a fervent wish until my cousin camped out for a night on the islet with her family. Taking my cue from there, I made plans thru my nephew who wasted no time arranging for the motor boat ride (45-minute fun ride) from Palompon, Leyte that owns the islet, which for a while rose to national prominence when the late Celso de los Angeles of the Legacy scam/infamy claimed ownership of it. The LGU now operates it.

this is the rocky side of the islet, facing Cebu;
so providential because this is the side that gets
constantly battered by big waves; the rocks on this side
protect the islet and spare the sand on the other side
from getting eroded . . .
the islet unfolds its drama when this sand bar appears
during low tide; conversely, it disappears when the
water reverses its flow during high tide; there is also
a similar sand bar at the far end
The islet’s upside is its naturally unpolished allure (fine white sand, clean and crystal-clear water and its relatively unspoiled nature).

what looks like a perfect day: blue sky, patch of green, fine white sand, 
still and crystal clear water . . .

Its downside is the absence of accommodation (pitch tents), electricity (bring gas lamps and flashlights) and water (bring your own). It has toilets though but seawater is used for flushing. 

we brought tents to the islet and slept under the stars; my companions 
who didn't feel like sleeping inside the tents opted to sleep in the half-
open cottages which can be rented; sleeping bags or nice thick 
blankets will suffice to survive the chilly night wind 

Given the inconveniences, my relatives were curious why I was so gung-ho about getting to the islet. Well firstly, to fulfill my childhood dream; and secondly, because it’s there, the latter I borrowed from Sir Edmund Hillary when he was asked why he wanted to ascent Mt Everest. 

good catch? yes, not by me but by the
fishermen who occasionally drop by the
islet to sell their day's fresh catch 
the islet is fringed with coconut trees in between which
one can hang his/her hammock where he/she can lull 

him/herself to dreamland and let time stand still


2 comments:

  1. Ganda! I should put this in my bucket list.
    Joel L.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should Joel. It's easily one of the best islands I've been to. I'd rather keep on returning to this island than to Boracay . . .

    ReplyDelete